Thursday, July 2, 2015

week 8: Classical Physics

Newton's Three Laws and Me


The first law states that a body remains at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by a force.
I really understood this theory when playing with silk worms dangling from the tree in the neighborhood.  They would stand still until you blew on them or pushed their web into a direction.


The second law states that a body's rate of change of momentum is proportional to the force causing it. 

What came to mind was comparing my walking  stride to jogging to the running start when you ride a zorb ball. Each one came at different speeds but the most exciting was the zorb ball because the faster you run the more momentum you carry down the launch off.

The third law states that when a force acts on a body due to another body, then an equal and opposite force acts simultaneously on that body
My memories of learning how to ride a bike came crashing back to re-illustrate this third principle.  I don't miss those scraped elbows, knees, or chins.

Our Energy Efficient Culture

This topic brings up many concerns for me.  Yes our culture has the potential to stop using fuel and transfer to a more clean energy that would benefit the environment. There are three countries currently operating the MagLev train, and they are China, Japan, and South Korean.

Decartes has a lot to answer for!!

In all respect, I admire Descartes for going against the mass culture.  He made in error in trying to compare the humans biological system to the mechanical working of a clock.   It is true the the human system a some mechanical quality in some areas such as the organs doing their routine to make the whole digestive system work. Due to Descartes instance that you could possible interchange organs like clock work pieces and still have the human body function unchanged seems unlikely.  Organ transplants today prove the Descartes theory untrue.  Many recipients of the organ transplants of remarked on picking up habits they never had before and finding out their new habits were that of their donor.

2 comments:

  1. I like the comparison that you made with Descartes' theory and organ transplants.  I hadn't thought about it in that way and I think that makes for an interesting discussion. It's kind of crazy to think about really and it brings into play both the physical and metaphysical aspects of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sweet image of blowing on silkworms. Very relaxing :) And I'll echo what Noosha wrote: the organ transplant idea is very interesting. I wonder what the qi behind a transplant organ would be. I imagine many of them come from donors who had some kind of trauma; I wonder how strongly that effects the organ on a qi level.

    ReplyDelete