Thursday, August 6, 2015

Biophysics: Bionics and our Biophysical Future

I think if a  fully bionic person were created, it would be a very bad use of natural resources and many ethical issues would follow. In short, more problems would arise rather than be resolved. Even if it was for medical reasons, such as a paralyzed person controlling the bionic person, I still feel a lot of psychological issues would develop. This may allow the person to improve their quality of daily functions, but I don't see how it would improve the pycho-emotional stress. I think the future of bionics should stay as appendages because these options allow people to improve their daily lives.  As for how as to distribute who gets a bionic prosthetic, that is a problem all on its own.  The way I would dissolve this problem would be to have people keep in mind that humans are not immortal and cannot escape death. With this in mind, I hope people would only consider improving their daily functions instead of abusing the technology.

I would be even more against the creation of a bionic person due to military reasons.  Having a bionic person operating on artificial intelligence, just terrifies me.  With hackers being able to access to anything placed on the web or in a computer, I just see a very big risk and a gigantic disaster over head.  This makes me think of all the sci-fi movies where artificial intelligence takes over the world and decides to kill off humans.  A few that came to mind were the Terminator, the Matrix, I Robot, and RoboCop are just a few.

I won't deny the possibility that having the bionic technology is awesome and the possibilities for improving the quality  of life of humans is tremendous.  However, as I have experienced for myself, having the internet can be more distracting than watching a television. A couple of other movies came to mind that use a different combination of artificial intelligence and technology.  Avatar and Interstellar are great examples of how our technology could change our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment